Saturday 5 July 2014

SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA, SOUKS AND SERVING OTHERS

Two weeks of cuddling orphans and exploring Morocco. These are the type of holidays that I actually enjoy. I've never been a fan of going abroad to relax in the sun or get immersed in the lifestyle of countries such as Ibiza or Magaluf. You can call me old-fashioned but I believe that when you're in another country, you should spend your time there as though you are her citizen...


You should eat all the authentic food she offers you, wear her traditional clothes, live like her people and get totally engrossed in her culture. The few days that you spend in another country should make you forget about all your preconceived thoughts about your experiences of the world and it should add to the vast ocean of memories that you are beginning to collect over the course of your life.

As a medical student and a future doctor, one of the hardest things you can do is travel whilst studying/working. That's why I believe that any spare time that I have should be used to explore the world. I guess in a sense what's driving me to this is my fear of growing old and being filled with regrets.
"I wish I did that..."
"I wish I hadn't said no..."
"If only..."
These are phrases that will haunt me until God shows mercy on me and calls me up to (hopefully) spend eternity enclosed in my Creator's grace.
And the only way to stop these nightmares would be to grab each opportunity that comes my way and by always saying yes!

Anyway, I won't be posting a lot over the next few weeks. Unless I have Wifi, in which case I may pop up and say hello. But let's be honest, the chances of me wanting to be glued onto my laptop in another country where I'm going to be looking after adorable children will be very slim. Therefore, I bid you all farewell. I can't wait to get back and talk about my experiences so watch this space!




No comments:

Post a Comment