Tuesday 13 January 2015

A LIFE OF ASSESSMENT

It's nearly halfway through the first month of 2015 and the one thing that's already in the back of my mind are the exams that determine whether I progress into third year. Statistics show that the first and second years of medical school are the times when the majority of students that aren't cut out for medicine fail. If I go by this, then I have one more hurdle to face before I am filled with confidence that I can actually graduate after 3/4 years. 

Many people think that after getting into medical school, you have completed the greatest challenge. But it's only just beginning. Each year you are filled with self-doubt as you wonder whether you will be able to make it to the next stage of achieving your goal of becoming a doctor. It doesn't really get much better once you graduate either; as each year your competency is assessed thoroughly. 

For those considering medicine, I would strongly advise you to think about these things along with many other factors before you decide to pursue this path. For me, I don't mind having a life full of exams and stress. Because at the end of it all, I will be doing what I love the most and seeing change in the world around me. Being a part of that change is bound to give me the adrenaline rush that I long to have in my working life. 

After a fairly gloomy post, I thought I'd conclude with something that made me very happy. A few days ago I opened my jar of memories from last year and read the notes that I had put in there throughout 2014. Some made me chuckle whereas others made me relive moments that I would never forget. I've chucked all of them away (except for a few special ones!) and I have started a brand new one for this year; and I'm happy to say that I already have had two precious memories only 2 weeks into the year.


God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment